Here's what I'm observing so far: in general, the Afghan National Army does not have any cohesion or camaraderie and they are not filled with pride to wear the uniform. The officers don't trust their lower officers or their enlisted. It's just a job, plain and simple. There is no reward for working hard or doing a job well that I can see. There is no national unity amongst the National Army.
My Plan through the Afghan Colonel (don't laugh): 1) institute a PT program, where they can become a team and the Americans can workout with them, 2) setup contests to see who can drive the forklift through a maze of cones the best...winner gets a day off and a certificate presented in front of everyone, 3) develop a test on their supply system and the personnel that score above a certain score (don't know yet) would get a day off and maybe 2 or 3 days depending on how they do (literacy could be a factor here), 4) create an NCO (enlisted) of the quarter, Senior NCO (enlisted) of the quarter, company grade officer of the quarter to promote achievement with days off for a reward, a certificate, and their name on a big board showing their photo as quarterly winner, 5) challenge other units on base to some type of sporting event, probably cricket, since that's what they like; hoping this will build teamwork and trust.
I don't see them doing well in their job unless they are proud to be doing what they do and are confident in their ability. I'm hoping this will help build esprit de corps...it's badly needed.
Here's one of the holes being dug. You can see the pick axe is not really the right type, so hopefully tomorrow will go better. They were using a fork lift to remove the trash in the background...not really the right tool for the job, but Afghans are not usually too worried about the right tool...they like to just do it with what they have readily available.
These are the mechanics trying to fix the forklift after it broke. They did get it running well after about 30 minutes.
Here's a guard watching as these guys work. I'm thinking he should be looking out towards the enemy...silly me...digging a hole is much more exciting.



4 comments:
I so appriciate you writing and giving us a glimpse into what is going on over there!
Is the ground as hard as in Egypt? We'd have to dig a trench for our grounding poles for the comm shelter because it was too hard to drive it in all the way. And while normally putting up an antenna in ideal conditions would take maybe 30 minutes, it'd be an all day job just to put in the ground stakes. So many of them actually bent. Scary.
I think the moral boosters will work. Those are all great ideas.
Smee,
I haven't been to Egypt, but the ground is hard enough that the only way to penetrate is with pick axes. The poles will just bend if you try to pound them in. Today we did five holes with two people digging for two hours, if that gives you any idea.
Tim
I too agree with the moral boosters. If they see personal awards/achievement can be made, hopefully, this will encourage them to do more and unite with each other.
Post a Comment