Friday, June 18, 2010

Friday off - No Rockets tonight

Today I drove to main base and saw a very vigilant police force.  Of course it was pretty hot, but they just don't have the right posture.  The guys in the back are apparently exhausted...I guess because Friday is normally their day off.  Photo is a little on the low quality side, since I took it out my window while driving and then enlarged it.

Of course I had to stop and look at carpet runners today.  Here's one I was contemplating. It's a 2.5x9 foot runner.  I think I must have it :)

This is just plain wrong and torturous.  I think I'd rather not see any beer at all versus seeing something that looks so real.

On my way home to my FOB, I saw this guy cruising on a tractor.  Don't see much farming around here, so I don't know what he uses it for.  I guess it could be his main source of transportation...who knows.

Now for the 1960s pics from Afghanistan:

This looks like some type of presidential parade.








Look at the pride the Afghan Nat'l Army had.  Also, you could tell it was before the Taliban, because the person on the lower right was wearing shorts.








4 comments:

Janice said...

Hi Tim,

Another great blog post! Too bad the 1960s photos can't talk! It would be great to know the details behind the images! Thank you for taking the time to post them! Take care! Be safe and have a lovely evening!

Janice

Smee said...

So with the Taliban in place they can not wear shorts? How odd, especially considering how hot it must be. Great pictures. The boxes you opened the other day, those pictures were in my dreams. Spooky! You stay safe.

Smee said...

ALso- I think if you want to justify buying so many rugs from there, you can always say you are stocking up so you can buy a castle and cover the walls, using them as tapestries :)

Tori Lennox said...

Love the rugs! And I have to laugh about the guy on the tractor. He'd fit right in where I live. We always have to go around tractors on the highway. :)