Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday was an Admin Day

Today will be old pic day from the 1960s of Afghanistan. Today was more of an admin day than I wanted it to be, but we have to have those days.

All the below pics are from the 1960s:

Here is a pic of a village. Interesting.  There are many like this still today.

Interesting camels...I've got my eye on the carpets on their backs:)





I would guess this is somewhere near the Salang pass (North East Afghanistan) in the spring.

It was so safe, the people here were enjoying a picnic.  I assume all of these pics were taken by one of the people traveling with them.  If anyone recognizes them, I'd sure like to find out who they are...I know that's an incredible long shot.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Hi Tim,

Happy Father's Day! Don't know if it applies, but hope you had a wonderful day!

Love these photos especially with those gorgeous mountains in the background. The mountains have always been the thing that's caught my attention in photos of Afghanistan. I feel like I know them; somewhat like the sense that I've live here in Arizona before. Oh well!

You talk so much about the carpets and they are beautiful. Have you ever seen them being made. I wondered if they make them on looms in homes or how that process evolves. I guess I need to do more homework!

Take care. Be safe and have a lovely evening! Thanks for everything that you do! :)

Janice

Smee said...

I concur with Janice, the rugs really are beautiful. :) When you mentioned eyeing the ones on the camels, I almost fell out laughing.

Any new runners joining you? I did my run yesterday morning and was wondering if the ANA suits are at all hot? I know here in Texas when I run I get so warm that even a tshirt and light shorts seem unbearable.

Have a great day :)

The Accidental Somebody said...

Where did you get the pictures from the 60s? Perhaps you wrote about it already and I haven't read far enough. I love to see the majestic mountains against the dusty brown desert.

Thank you for writing about your experiences, it's so interesting to see what's happening over there from your perspective.

Kim :)