Sunday, July 18, 2010

Saturday...Run & Hangout with the ANA day

Rocket Status: None today.

Running club:  two runners showed up.  I'm a little perturbed...I gave a guy a pair of shoes and he knew he was leaving to go up North and will not return.  I'm going to have to scrutinize with their supervisor for any more handouts.

Shoe Status:  Received 3 more pair today...the size 7 that was sent fit the guy that need a 6 1/2, so I no longer need a 6 1/2.   Hold off on any more shoe shipments for now.  I want to wait to see who else I can recruit.  I still have three pair in stock...two 9s and a 10.

I want to send a thank you to Brenda F.  She sent 3 pairs of shoes, a bunch of toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, and tshirts.

Today I tried to spend time just sitting with the ANA Colonel to help build rapport.  He'd tell me stories...one was about a man that was not too smart and was riding a donkey facing the wrong way.  The stories are usually all pretty funny.

We made a new policy today.  There will be no more advisors coming to logistics depot for assistance unless they have their ANA counterpart, so they'll learn.  Right now, advisors do most of the work and the ANA learn nothing.  Hopefully it'll help.

I was observing the download of the convoy for a few minutes...they just don't have the same OCDness we have when it comes to warehouse management.  If you've seen the TV show 'hoarders' this might look familiar. To their credit, they don't have enough warehouse space for all the gear that arrives, but they need to be making more of an effort to get units to come pickup their gear.

When I was driving around the base, I saw this truck full of Afghans and thought it'd be interesting for you to see.


If you click on this picture, you might be able to see the large bazooka type weapon in the very back of the vehicle.


This could have been a disaster...you see what's on the left of the truck?  It's Tim Hortons...what would we do without our Iced Cappuccinos?  Luckily they were able to save Tim Hortons...oh yeah, and the truck.


Here are some pics of Afghanistan in the 1960s.

If you look closely, I almost missed it, you can see the makeshift huts people are living at the base of the cliff.

Looks like a rough life in the arid desert.


I almost missed the huts again...they're right across the middle of the photo.



1 comment:

Janice said...

Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing the story from the ANA colonel. He sounds like a great guy. You do a great job of suggesting and implementing new ways to get the ANA counerparts involved. Great work.

Geez, those hording photos look like my living room! Ha! Ha!

It was great to see a truck full of Afghans without them hanging from every available square inch of the truck.

No bazaar?

Love the 1960s photos! Thanks for pointing out the huts. You're right; unless you look for them, you miss them. I just love the cliffs and mountains there. Would love to spend the day taking photos of everything even though I'm sure things have changed.

Take care. Be safe. Thank you for everything that you do!

Janice