Friday, July 2, 2010

Today is typically my day off, but I'm in training...

I was in training all day for contracting oversight, which is important, but I'd rather have done other things.  Here was my view...


Today when walking around, thought you'd like to see what the Tim Hortons looked like here. It's on the corner of the boardwalk. I didn't capture the line, but it starts with the two people on the left that are next to the railing and is about 15 people long.

Here's a picture of the flags being down for a fallen soldier that arrived on base.  They'll remain that way until they depart...usually in a day or so.

While I was in class, the team was putting up tents in 108F/42C temperatures and piercing sun.  There's a total of four tents that'll be erected and 44 guards to live in them.  We still have to get the environmental control units before they can move in...just too darn hot without A/C, but they'd probably move in if allowed.

This a fence going up to enclose the tents and b-huts, so the interpreters can keep the wrong people out of their dining facility, showers, and toilets.

Here are some pictures from the 1960s of Afghanistan...

This is the remnants of an old mud brick fort...it's probably 100 years old or more.

Don't know what make car, but I'm guessing it's British.

This is an interesting shot...would like to see that in person.  Haven't seen anything quite like that since I've been here.

Okay, now this could've just as likely been taken today as in the 1960s.  Too funny...I guess like father like son. lol.

4 comments:

Janice said...

Hi Tim,

Thanks for posting the photo of the jingle truck! They really are fabulous. I also liked the puppies! What a couple of cuties! I guess they're guarding the caravan behind them.

Wouldn't it be great to explore that old fort. Too bad we can't push a button that beams us back in time so we can go exploring!

The tents remind me of our Sheriff Joe Arpaio's tent city although you don't house prisoners who wear pink underwear! Ha! You've got quite an operation going on there.

Take it easy if you can! Don't melt! Be safe and thank you for everything that you do! Have a Fabulous Friday!

Janice

Unknown said...

the car in the pic looks very much like a British Ford Anglia circa 1960, it looks like an export as it is a left-hand drive.

love checking this blog every day!

Lesley said...

Thanks for everything that you and others do for this country!! Much appreciation is granted! The blog is a wonderful tool to let us into your life to see firsthand what you and others are going through.

Lesley

Smee said...

Looking at that car, it looks similar to the 1966 Ford Anglia 105E.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ford.anglia.105e.moors.arp.750pix.jpg

Maybe that can give you a timeline on the pictures?