This morning started with taking the new dining facility contractor for the interpreters to the Garrison Commander's office to discuss getting a gate pass. After about 45 minutes of dithering, we were told he didn't have the authorization to make a gate pass and it would have to be done by the Corps commander. We were told that we should see the Corps Commander's advisor, an Australian Colonel, to have him smooth it over. I met with him at 2pm today and discussed it. Apparently the rumor was I pointed a weapon at the gate guards, which is absolutely false and could not of even been mistaken for me pointing it at anyone, but the ANA Corps Commander associates the false information he's been given with this new contractor and is refusing to allow them to enter the base. The Australian Colonel said he would talk with him and see what he could work out...no promises. This was a frustrating part of the day.
For the other part of my day...the reason I'm here, there was good stuff. Units were coming and picking up equipment and goods like crazy today and there were no problems associated with the pickups. Also, we had some ANA special forces guys come to the logistics depot to order equipment and the forms weren't right, but the ANA Colonel I advise told them he'd accept it and that they just needed the Corps Logistics person to sign the form. The Corps Logistics officer refused to sign, because the forms were written in English and not filled out properly. The silver lining in this is that the Colonel I advise was willing to work with them and not just reject it.
The new dining facility is still doing better, but they still need work on cleanliness. Also, I guess people weren't getting enough meat, so they were complaining.
Today we were driving back from main base Kandahar and stopped at a bread shop...the bread was excellent! I took a picture of the kids...see below.

1 comment:
Oh, gee, how the stupid stuff holds things up. Glad to hear the rest of your day went well. Nice to see some color on the kids...not all beige.
Post a Comment