Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Not a Bad Wednesday in Kandahar!

Rocket Status:  none tonight.

This morning started with meeting the ammunition/weapons ANA Captain at the containers.  He was counting AK-47 magazines...he only had 30,000 to count.  He did 5,000 today, so I'm guessing he'll be done in six days.  The Captain in the green beret, immediately below, is the hardest working person in the logistics depot.


After visiting with these guys, I went over to see the ANA Colonel.  He was discussing leave and his concern over the amount of personnel he'll have after Ramadan, since everyone wants to go on leave for EID, which is the tradition.  I'm not sure what will happen, but I'm sure we'll make it work...we always do.

Today was a pretty good day.  We spent some time with the ANA Colonel and listening to a story about how you can do two things in one day (a wedding and a funeral).  It was certainly a little different.  Something about since the person died, they needed to bury him that day, but the wedding was also the same day, so the mullah (priest) decided they wouldn't play music in honor of the dead.  Everyone at the wedding was a little upset...they wanted music and wanted to dance.  A woman rang a bell to see what the mullah would do...one side of his shoulder moved like to start dancing, but the woman was scared so she waited a while to see if the mullah was okay with it.  She struck the bell twice this time and the mullah moved both of his shoulders like he was getting ready to dance...that's when they started playing music and dancing.  The people at the funeral were upset, since the mullah told them they wouldn't play music.       What does all this mean...it means we might be able to count the AK-47 magazines and put labels on the containers on the same day...well, we weren't able to today.  Thought you'd get a kick out of one of these stories.  I'm sure I left some things out, but that's the gist of it. 

The ledger below is part of a huge book they use here to do their supply management.  I guess you won't misplace one of these...LOL.


What's funny about this picture is the cup holder near the windshield.  There's a glass in it and it's for chai tea.  It just struck me as funny.  The way they drive, I don't hold out much hope for the tea making it or the glass for that matter.



1 comment:

Janice said...

Hi Tim,

Sounds like a great Wednesday! I love the photos especially the second one with the guy perched on the arm of the front-end loader! It seems like there's always something to do there!

Your ANA Colonel tells great stories! Hum, a funeral and a wedding on the same day! Quite an accomplishment!

I wonder if the driver of the vehicle drinks or wears more of the tea from the glass in the cup holder? What fun!

Take care! Be safe! Thank you for everything that you do!

Janice