I'm glad we (most military) learned that providing the Afghans what you think they need may not be what they truly do need. We ask them what they need, where they need it, and when they need it...for the most part. We do our best to meet these needs...otherwise the item or unit may not get utilized.
Today our tangible accomplishment doesn't look like much, but to the Afghans that will be using them they do mean a lot.
Here is the work on the new hospital oven area. It has just started, but we expect it to be done in 3 days. It will be enclosed when finished. The worker is mixing cement for the oven bricks. If you scroll down a few blogs ago, you'll see the current hospital kitchen.
This is our guy leveling the area with a bulldozer (I think he's having fun...he loves to get dirty), so walls can be put up.
The shower rooms they have are not really up to standards. They do function, but just barely. Here's what they looked like before. Luckily for you, you can't see in very well.
Here's what it looks like now. It has lights, hot & cold water, and even A/C. It get's upwards of 130F here in the summer, so they can definitely use the A/C. I have to say, this shower unit is cleaner and nicer than mine. I'm okay with that...they work hard and deserve it.
Here is a picture of our shelters. When the alarm goes off for incoming rockets or mortars, this is available for shelter.
Here's the inside of a fairly nice tent to give you an idea what it would be like to live in for 6 months to a year. The tube running along the top is the inflatable vent for air conditioning and heating. They stay pretty cool when the A/C works right. If the A/C stops, they become an oven.
1 comment:
Great pictures, and what fantastic work. I can only imagine how hot those shelters get if the AC goes out. When I was still enlisted we did some training in Egypt. We spent a lot of our time in the carpet-tents. Smelled like dog and were so sweltering since we had no fans. I'm so glad they are trying to make you as comfortable as possible.
Thank you for serving :)
Post a Comment