This morning started with a call from our unit in Kabul for accountability of everyone. We thought it was an exercise, but sadly it was implemented because of a suicide car bomber that killed 5 US personnel, 1 Canadian and 12 civilians in Kabul this morning. We don't have any info on them and couldn't share it if we did. For more info, http://news.google.com has the story.
Of course, most of today's projects here in Kandahar were random events, as is usual during deployments. Once people hear that you helped someone, then word spreads, now you're the guy. No one wants to use the system and it seems everyone knows someone with exactly what you need. Sometimes trading/bartering takes place, so you can get the job done. It can be fun!!! Sometimes feels like a M.A.S.H. episode and we're all looking for Radar (at least I think he was the supply person). :)
Of course, most of today's projects here in Kandahar were random events, as is usual during deployments. Once people hear that you helped someone, then word spreads, now you're the guy. No one wants to use the system and it seems everyone knows someone with exactly what you need. Sometimes trading/bartering takes place, so you can get the job done. It can be fun!!! Sometimes feels like a M.A.S.H. episode and we're all looking for Radar (at least I think he was the supply person). :)
As soon as I started typing this, the mortar/rocket sirens went off and I heard, I think, two explosions...nowhere near us. The all clear sounded some minutes later.
Here's the team loading Hummers on the back of a flatbed for transport to another base.
On our way back from loading, we noticed some of the Afghan soldiers washing up and doing laundry in the river.
Then we bounced back to the village to see about the second shower house. Our Master Sergeant that was on the bulldozer yesterday was now using a crane to pickup the shower unit and put it in place. He complains a little about doing it, but I can tell he loves playing with the big machinery and getting filthy.
When we moved the old shower unit, there was a black soupy moldy mess underneath. We're going to let it dry and cover it over with soil.
After the shower unit was moved, we took a walk through the dining facility they have. The bucket you see on the floor is full of cooked chicken. I don't know their plan for it, but I'm guessing it will be dinner. No telling how long it has been sitting out. They don't get sick, so they must push it right to the limit or they have a healthy immune system.
As we drove through one Afghan Nat'l Army gate, I saw this old tank from I'm guessing pre-WWI. Maybe someone can identify it for me in the comments. In case you're wondering, it's a chair in front of the tank.
Speaking of tanks, the Russians left hundreds here. Take a look.
Here are two shops we drove by. We occasionally stop and buy candy or souvenirs.

Other than that, we spent the day discussing why we can't bring our up-armored vehicles through one of the Afghan Nat'l Army gates. We walked away with an agreement, but I don't know how much faith I have that it will be upheld. We'll see in the coming days and weeks.









3 comments:
Hope you will find your "Radar" or at least some funny guy like Klinger.
Greetz from Frankfurt/Germany
umm.. i would be very surprised if this tank is pre-WW 1!!! as far as i remember history classes from back school, 1st tanks were used during WW1 precisely... i googled it.. doesn't it look like that soviet tank a lil bit??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-18_tank
Duracell,
Thanks for doing the research. I appreciate it. I thanked you in the next post.
Post a Comment