Saturday, June 19, 2010

Short Saturday...Missed the Bazaar!

I was so busy today, I just realized I missed the bazaar...for carpet shopping of course.  Oh well, there's plenty of time for that.

I started today by talking to one of the Afghan Sergeants about not showing up for the run.  I explained how great the ANA used to be and is beginning to be again and that he was part of making it great again and that he should be proud to be a ANA soldier.  Then I told him that he promised me he would run and that I was disappointed he was not there and did not keep his word.  I also told him I didn't ask him to run for a picture (he had requested a pic, so I told him to run and I'd give him one of himself), but I wanted him to run to get to know him.  The interpreter told me afterwards that he was ashamed for not keeping his word and that he would be there on Monday to run...he said the words hit home.  We'll see if any of my words got through...they felt like they did.

First, let's close the saga of the fence.  Here it is in all it's glory.  Only about 15 or 16 days for 30 fence posts, 2 layers of concertina wire, and one layer of barbed wire...just for fun.

When I drove into the logistics depot today, I saw this jingle truck packed with laundry detergent.  I love they way they pack things over the top.  There were two trucks, but the other one is out of sight.

Here's the unloading process.  Seems like he'd be hotter with his face wrapped.  I don't see any dust, so it's not for that.  Whatever makes him happy.

Next, the Afghan Colonel had a going away for one of our team.  This guy is in armor and armed up, because they went to Kandahar city to buy the food for the meal...crazy!!!  He was very excited to be armed up...if you can tell.

This is what the meal looked like.
I was a little nervous about what we were going to eat, because you can never be sure.  I started to ask the interpreter what it was and then I said...no, don't tell me until afterwards.  It turned out to be beef with some type of noodle and goat, so no biggie.  The bread was from someone's home, which is pretty neat.  The food was amazing.  Here's an up close pic of the plate.  It has been several hours and my stomach is fine, so that's great.  Sometimes our stomach is not used to the different bacteria, so it's not so pleasant.

After the meal, they wanted to say their good byes.  Kind of sad, because it's likely after spending a year with these Afghans, he'll never see them again.  You could tell they had a bond.  They usually like to hug like this every time you meet, but these were a little longer than normal.   The guy hugging is the three fingered crazy guy we all love...he's a great worker and so is the guy behind him...also my running partner.


After the going away meal, which lasted almost two hours, we had a meeting from 2:30pm to 3:30pm; this means our day was over.  Afghans usually don't work past 3:30pm.  There's always tomorrow.

Now for the 1960s pics of Afghanistan

Here's a horse used in a game that is somewhat like polo, but a goat or sheep is involved. Wish I knew more, but that's all I've got for now.  Maybe someone can post on the comments.

They're getting ready to play...


Looks like quite a gathering for the sport.

5 comments:

CynStorm said...

Wow, you had a packed full day. To bad you missed the Bazaar. Loved the food pics!

Have a good evening!

Bisou,

Cyn

Smee said...

That going away dinner looks fantastic! And the pictures of the horses- is that a bearing rein, used to keep carriage horses head up? Or is that just the way the horse was standing for the picture? I'm going to have to look up information on that game.

Love the pics! Stay safe!

Smee said...

Didn't take long- could it be Buzkashi? It was banned for a long time by the Taliban but recently begun being played again, according to the Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buzkashi

Janice said...

Hi Tim,

You're a great communicator. I hope that the Afghan sergeant
shows up on Monday. At least then, you'll know you're making more progress.

Looks like a great going away meal. China, silverware, the whole works. I've got a new friend from Lebanon who's educating me in their cuisine. She invites me for lunch and I never know what to expect, but it's always wonderful!

I think the game you're looking for is Buzkashi as listed by Smee! Sounds like a rough and tumble sport for the guys only. Horses and riders need to train for this sport, and yes, it says the headless carcass of a goat or calf serves as the object one of two teams carries to a goal. Adds new meaning to the word "pigskin," huh! Thanks for the homework. Always willing to learn something new!

Take care! Thank you for the great day-in-the-life posts and the fabulous photos. Love them. Be safe!

Janice

Anonymous said...

From FB Fly on Thewall: KEEP BLOGGING! What a fantastic, boots-on-the-ground rendition of reality. Thank you for taking the time to include us in your work. If you get discouraged from time to time, keep in mind that millions of American Patriots are grateful.